Items that are fragile, sharp, or weirdly shaped typically top our list of hardest things to pack before a move, and let’s not even get us started on packing the kitchen.
Why is it so hard to pack books when they are none of these things? A stack of books is extremely hefty and unruly, and a box of books is even more so, even though a single book is lightweight, small, and not at all delicate. You’ll end up with a box that is excessively heavy and painful to carry if your only aim is to empty your complete bookcase into a few moving boxes. Additionally, if it tips over while being transported, it can harm your other possessions.
Packing your books properly using tried-and-true techniques developed by book enthusiasts before you is a superior approach. Here are some packing guidelines for books, along with the advice from Removalists Sydney for transporting your entire collection from your old house to your new one.
- Cut your collection down: You probably have some books in your collection that you no longer desire or need. Examine each book and decide if it is worth the trouble of moving it and making room for it at your new residence. You may ensure that someone else will be able to find and appreciate the books you want to donate by placing them in a box and delivering it to a library, school, or donation facility. If you have old books that you don’t want anymore, you might want to sell them. Your outdated books could be worth a lot of money!
- Choose the appropriate boxes: Books should be packed in multiple small or medium-sized boxes rather than one large box to uniformly distribute their weight, which is a critical packing technique. If you pack too many books at once, you run the risk of going over the weight limits for big and extra-large boxes and encountering the safety issues described before. Use the assistance of Cheap Removalists Campelltown to relocate, and request a couple of extra small and medium boxes to pack the books.
- Make careful book arrangements: If they are not correctly packed, books might become distorted and destroyed. Never pack them with the pages facing down; doing so will almost certainly cause harm to them, especially to paperbacks. Pack them instead flat or with their spines downward. To avoid bending or shifting, fill in any holes with paper. Additionally, think about arranging your books according to a system, like alphabetically or by category. This will make it simpler to find a specific book later on when unpacking.
- Label everything: Once you have finished packing your books, properly mark each box so you will know where to put each one. Label the compartments to suit your book organisation strategy if you use one. If they are already packed and categorised, setting them up in your new home will be a lot simpler.
- Replace boxes with a wheeled suitcase: Your baggage must be moved as well, so you might as well put them to use. When packing books, a rolling suitcase works great because it completely solves the problem of heavy lifting (so long as you have a ramp for the truck). You should package it with other heavy goods to keep it secure because it may still be dangerous to move it around. If you choose to take this way, be sure to still adhere to the organisational advice provided below rather than just throwing books in there carelessly.
- Create order as you go: Pack your books in a method that allows you to easily remove them from the box and place them on the shelf at your new home to make unpacking them later easier. Depending on how you like your books organised, you can choose the exact procedure to follow. Group them in advance to save yourself a ton of time while you’re settling in, whether you do it by genre, author, colour, or book kind.
- Be careful with valuables: The majority of books can simply be placed in your boxes, but some, especially priceless or vintage books or more delicate publications like comics, require a little extra care. Depending on the book, that can entail either separating it from other things with a layer of cardboard or wrapping it in a layer of air-filled plastic wrap before packing it into the box. Books that are truly priceless to you should be packed in compact boxes by themselves or with just a few additional objects and carried by the owner rather than being loaded into the moving truck.
Consider hiring cheap Removalists Central Coast. if you want to delegate the entire task of packing and transporting your books to your new residence. For your convenience, they can pack, load, transport, and even unpack your possessions so that you won’t have to do a thing throughout your relocation.